Angela Murphy (second left) pictured at last year’s Wirral Third Sector Business Awards with the team from Tomorrow’s Women Wirral
Finalists have been announced for the Wirral Third Sector Business Awards 2017 which recognise the major impact that social enterprises and charities make throughout the borough.
In the spotlight at the awards ceremony at the Leverhulme Hotel, Port Sunlight, on Friday, May 19 will be many of the unsung heroes and heroines whose dedication and commitment to their work is pivotal to this sector’s important contribution to the local economy.
The event is being organised by Wirral Connect, the organisation that supports the development and growth of the community sector on the peninsula.
Progress to Excellence Ltd, which is sponsoring the Mentor of the Year Award, has been nominated for the Corporate Connections Award.
Paul Growney, chief executive at Wirral Connect, said: “This will be our third awards ceremony and each year all the entrants – not just the winners – demonstrate the massive difference they make to the local community through their work as charities, volunteers, community groups, social leaders and social enterprise entrepreneurs.
“This is a way to pay tribute to those who give back to the community as well as recognising the significant impact the social enterprise and charity sector makes on the Wirral economy.”
Angela Murphy, executive director at Tomorrow’s Women Wirral, which was named Community Enterprise of the Year at last year’s Wirral Third Sector Business Awards, added: “These awards show the spirit of everything that is good about the ‘family’ and community of Wirral.
“Apart from the honour and prestige of being a winner, we have been able to showcase our success to the people who can make a real difference to our organisation whether here on Merseyside or in the further reaches of government such as the Ministry of Justice where we can make our voice heard.”
Finalists in the Wirral Third Sector Business Awards 2017 are:
- Health and Wellbeing Award, sponsored by Care and Respite Support Services: Involve Northwest Leapfrog Services; Mums to Marathons; Next Chapter (NW) CIC.
- Children’s and Young Person’s Award, sponsored by Daisy and Jake Day Nursery: BEE Wirral; Charlotte’s Brightside; Next Chapter (NW) CIC.
- Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award, sponsored by Wirral Chamber of Commerce: Matt Houghton, HYPE Merseyside; Rachel Griffiths, Mums to Marathons; Steve Taylor-Smith, Unity Supported Housing.
- Growth Award, sponsored by McEwan Wallace: Unity Supported Housing; Tomorrow’s Women Wirral; Spider Project.
- Innovation Award, sponsored by First Ark Group: HYPE Merseyside; The Open Door Centre; Age UK Wirral.
- Corporate Connections Award, sponsored by Wirral Connect: Finsa; Progress to Excellence; Designated Associates.
- Project of the Year, sponsored by Inteb Managed Services: Best Foot Forward, Next Chapter (NW) CIC; Blue Light, Wirral Mind; Silverbacks, BEE Wirral.
- Employee of the Year Award, sponsored by Bramhalls Solicitors: Carol Morris-Lewis, Wirral Holistic Care Services; Lisa Heath, BEE Wirral; Jessica Campbell, Claire House.
- Start-up Social Enterprise of the Year Award, sponsored by Finsa: Destiny; Mums to Marathons; Me Again CIC.
- Volunteer of the Year Award, sponsored by Designated Associates: Ian Nixon, Wirral Evolutions; Audrey Schiffel, Wirral Society of the Blind and Partially Sighted; Crossbow Club Team, Wirral Mencap.
- Organisation of the Year, sponsored by Wirral Radio: Involve Northwest; The Open Door Centre; Birkenhead Scouts.
- Mentor of the Year, sponsored by Progress to Excellence: Angela Sinton, Carer Connections project; Pamela Cunningham, Bereavement by Suicide; Nicola Fenton, Domestic Abuse Peer Mentoring.