Dental Nursing Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3
Following the closure of the School of Dental Nursing at the Liverpool Dental Hospital, we now welcome Elaine Hosty, Charmian Lythgoe and Liz Pears to the Progress to Excellence Ltd team. With their expertise, we are now able to offer the Dental Nursing Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3.
Course Title/Level: Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Dental Nursing
Duration: 18 months
Course Code: 9855
Awarding Body: City and Guilds
Who is this course for?
This qualification is for trainee dental nurses working chairside in an oral healthcare setting and is appropriate for learners aged 16 and over. Learners should work a minimum of 3 days per week in the surgery to fulfil the requirements of this qualification. The course is designed to be more flexible than other routes on offer as sessions take place within the workplace and there is less disruption to the dental practice due to minimal day release.
This qualification enables learners to become fully competent in dental nursing by giving them the knowledge and skills both in direct chairside work and for providing support in a range of dental treatments.
*This qualification is approved by the General Dental Council and on successful completion you can apply for General Dental Council registration.
What am I signing up for?
- Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- ERR – Employment Rights and Responsibilities (Level 2)
- Functional skills English/Maths (Level 2)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS) Level 3
What will I study?
All 15 units of the Diploma in Dental Nursing are mandatory and include:
- First Aid Essentials
- Reducing risks to health and safety in the dental setting
- The role and responsibilities of a dental nurse
- Prepare and maintain environments, instruments and equipment for clinical dental procedures
- Principles of infection control in the dental environment
- Provide chairside support for the assessment of patients oral health
- Contribute to the production of dental images
- Provide chairside support for the prevention and control of periodontal disease and caries and the restoration of cavities
- Provide chairside support for the provision of fixed and removable prostheses
- Provide chairside support for non-surgical endodontic treatment
- Provide chairside support for the extraction of teeth and minor oral surgery
- Provide information and support to patients on the protection of their oral health
- Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
- Dental radiography
- Management of oral health diseases and dental procedures
For more information on units and their content please visit www.cityandguilds.com and search ‘Dental Nursing Apprenticeships’.
This is a mandatory part of the course unless you already hold Functional Skills/Key Skills at Level 2 or GCSE English and Maths at Grade C or above. Certificates must be provided for exemption from this part of the course.
You will be required to complete Functional Skills English and Maths. You will be asked to complete an initial assessment at induction to help us support you with this. You will then be assigned an assessor in this area, so no need to worry about not being supported through this part of your course. You will be required to sit short examinations to complete Functional Skills as well as two additional activities for English (Presentation and Discussion).
How you will be assessed?
- Direct observation
- Reflective account
- Work products
- Witness testimony
Please note that 4 of the 15 mandatory units will be assessed through online examinations.
Within the first 8 weeks of the course you will be required to attend a one day induction at Progress to Excellence Ltd head office in Birkenhead. You will attend a one day course for First Aid/Basic Life Support, also at Progress to Excellence Ltd, and you will also receive contact via telephone, email and Smart Room through our e-portfolio system Smart Assessor. To learn more about our e-portfolio system, visit www.smartassessor.co.uk. Revision sessions will also be delivered in the run up to examinations to support learners with these units.
Cost (if applicable)
Funding is available for this course subject to Skills Funding Agency eligibility criteria. This will be discussed with you when we receive your application.
Commercial cost of this course is £1,728.00 (Inc VAT). This can be covered by a learner or the employer and we also offer flexible payment plans. This can also be covered by a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan. For more details on this, please contact the Business Development Team on 0151 650 6933.
Once registered with the GDC various post registration qualifications are available, these include Certificate in Dental Radiography, Certificate in Oral Health Education, Special Care Dental Nursing, Orthodontic Dental Nursing, Dental Sedation Nursing for further information please refer to the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN) website.
After completing this course, you may wish to progress into a managerial role where we are able to offer Team Leading Level 2 and Management Levels 3 and 5. We are also able of offer Customer Services qualifications at Levels 2 and 3.
How to apply/Contact
Please contact a member of the Business Development Team on 0151 650 6933 to see if you are eligible for funding for this course and for more information. Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Course Overview here.